For me the biggest thing I would like to see is more freedom. Solasta is nice, but it is very linear. Go to this place, do that, then go to next place, do that, then... So here is a list that I sure every one is going to hate me for.
1. Hunting grounds that are known to the people in the town from the start. This area has the various critters and plants to gather food and crafting supplies, but it restocks based on some time period. Just try to avoid running into that dragon looking for a snack.
2. There has to be a way to end combat. Either use invisibility or be able to run out of sight and hide. That way when you run into something you can't handle or is unexpected you don't lose the group.
3. Accept the fact that members will die. You might have to head back to town to recruit a new tank after the last one held back the hordes while the rest of the party escaped. Be nice if you could return and salvage some of the equipment and have a burial.
4. Make the party more dynamic. If you find that goody goody Paladin type is cramping your style, dump him in the next town and look for some one more to your liking. This ties in with #3 as well.
5. Make things matter. If poisoned, make the character take 10 pts (as an example) of damage every hour till cured. If for some reason you can't cure it, then the character dies. The game is too nice outside of straight up combat.
These are some of the examples that would improve the immersion of the player into the game. Granted it does sound kind of like the original Baldur's Gate, but is that a bad thing really? Plus I could finally finish those darn boots.